Sunday, April 12, 2009

Day 10

Day 10 - January 9, 2009

I knew my time was winding down in the wonderful land of New England, so I tried to enjoy this day to its fullest!
I had to turn in my rental car on day 10 - so Heather and I loaded the kids into her car and headed east across Connecticut, Rhode Island and Massachusetts.
I wanted to visit Rhode Island and Massachusetts because my dad served his mission in New England and served in both RI and Mass.

We didn't ever actually stop in R.I., but I could definitely spend a lot of time there. It is beautiful and I'm a complete sucker for bridges.


Here is one of the many bridges that we crossed during the day




Wes and Kate in New Bedford, Massachusetts
New Bedford is a cool old whaling town. It has cobblestone streets downtown and lots of fishing boats in the harbor. We stopped at the visitor's center there and learned a little about whaling.
We were in the car for a long time, and Sophie was getting antsy. Kate sang her a song to comfort her. I captured it. Um, yes, she's picking her toes...
I was most excited to see Cape Cod

By this time, we didn't want to spend much time enjoying the view because the wind was SO cold that it felt like it was going right through you. It was pretty cool to stand on the shore and see lights of towns to the west and the east and the light from a lighthouse almost directly in front of you (on the tip of the cape).

Sunset on Cape Cod
I ventured out to get Laurel some sand (in an empty Chex Mix bag...who knows how much of it was really sand and how much was leftover Chex Mix...). She likes to get soil from different places, but I didn't get very much before I hurried back to the car because of the frigidness.
While we were on our way back home to Connecticut, I got phone call - that Imissed. Then Laurel called me and I thought maybe she knew that I'd messed up her sand with Chex Mix...
She told me that Delta had called and needed to talk to me because they were canceling my flight! Yikes! I called them back and it turns out that they were expecting a big storm during the day right when my flight was supposed to leave from JFK. So, they had to change my flight to either 9:00 a.m. or 7:30 p.m. I told them I'd need to talk to a couple of people before I knew which one would work better. After we returned to Matt and Heather's and I had to talked to those who were to take me to the train station and pick me up from the airport, I called Delta back. I told them the 9:00 a.m. flight would work better for me. The nice boy informed me that all of the seats were taken in coach and they'd have to put me in first class....um okay!

2 comments:

Chavonne said...

Yea, Bonnie, you finished the travelogue. (And where it's supposed to be;)) What a fun and memorable trip! So happy you had a great time.

BertB said...

Maybe we could encourage a couple of people in our ward to "blog" about their travelogue, eh? I do have one more story to tell - Day 11 (the day I came home)